Being a fan of both food and fitness, it’s sometimes hard to get the balance of both right. I love going to the gym and keeping fit but I also love a sweet treat so finding a recipe that isn’t full of fat, sugar and calories but at the same time cures my sweet cravings is something I would have to give a go!
I was researching recipes that were healthy alternatives to sweet treats and I came across a recipe for an alternative to a banana split and it involved some of my favourite foods, peanut butter, Greek yoghurt and berries so I decided to give it a go.
This recipe makes 2 servings
½ cup of Greek yoghurt (I used full fat)
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp butter
Mix of berries to top
- Heat the griddle plate to a medium/high heat and then melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Slice the bananas down the middle so you have two halves and then brush the banana with a layer of the melted butter. You don’t need to brush any on the skin side.
- In a bowl mix together the Greek yoghurt and peanut butter, I used Whole Earth peanut butter as I feel it’s by far the best tasting and it contains only natural ingredients.
- Once the griddle is hot, Place the bananas skin side up and cook for about 3 minutes. Once the 3 minutes is up, flip them over and cook the skin side for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully remove the bananas from the griddle and then using a spoon life the bananas out of the skin.
- Place the bananas on a plate and spread the yoghurt mixture over the top and decorate with your chosen berries. To finish squeeze some runny honey over the top and there you have it, a healthier alternative to banana split.
I was sent the griddle plate from the guys at Savisto and I couldn’t really fault it. The product was sent to me within 3 days and packaged securely. What I really like about this griddle plate was the size of it, griddle plates that I have used in the past have been relatively small where this one is very spacious and has two sides, a griddle side which I used in this recipe and also a flat side which I used to cook bacon on and it worked really well.
One thing I was worried about was cleaning the plate but it was a lot easier than what I thought, although you do have to leave it a while to cool down. I would definitely recommend this product but they have so many other products to offer as well.